Financial gifting

Giving or leaving a financial gift in a tax-efficient way

As well as being extremely gratifying, gifting money to loved ones during your lifetime can help reduce any potential Inheritance Tax (IHT) bill when you pass away. And if you gift money via a trust, it can become an even more effective financial planning tool.

Tax efficient gifting

Each of us has an annual ‘gift allowance’, which allows you to give away £3,000 worth of assets or cash each year without incurring any IHT – even if you were to die soon afterwards. You can also make smaller gifts of up to £250 outside of this allowance, tax-free, provided you haven’t given a gift to the same person as part of your £3,000 annual allowance.

If you don’t use your annual £3,000 allowance, you can carry it forward – but only for one tax year. You can also gift any amount to charity without incurring a tax bill. And, if you leave at least 10% of your net estate to charity when you die, it will reduce your IHT rate from 40% to 36%.

Any gifts over £3,000 are called a Potentially Exempt Transfer, because no IHT is due on it provided you live for at least seven years. If you were to die within seven years of giving the gift, it becomes a Chargeable Lifetime Transfer, and IHT will be due.

To speak to one of our advisers about tax efficient gifting today call 0800 915 0000

Articles related to

Financial gifting

What our clients say

Find an adviser

Where and how we meet depends on whatever’s most convenient for you, but we have a number of locations around the UK if you’d prefer to come to us.

Find an Adviser

Other services we offer

We provide a complete range of financial services with specialists in every category so that we can match you with the most suited adviser for your needs

Small, but important print

Registration Number 03776035
Registered in England and Wales

Amber River Group Limited is not authorised to give financial advice. The financial planning businesses who are part of the Amber River Group are separately authorised businesses and therefore able to give advice.

You’ll find details of the regulated status of our firms, including FCA numbers and links to the Financial Services Register on each of the location pages in the ‘Find an adviser’ section.

The Financial Conduct Authority does not regulate National Savings or some forms of mortgage, tax planning, taxation and trust advice, offshore investments or school fees planning.

The information contained within this site is subject to the UK regulatory regime and therefore targeted primarily at UK-based consumers.

The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) is an agency for arbitrating on unresolved complaints between regulated firms and their clients. Find full details of the FOS at

Please read our Privacy Statement before completing any enquiry form or emailing us.